Other pages about
Battle of Boroughbridge
Archaeology of the Battle
In 1792 a little below the present bridge, during flood protection works along the river bank, bones, fragments of arms and armour were discovered. Then on the 13th August 1881 workmen excavating for the erection of new machinery in the corn mill of Lothouse and Hammond, on the south bank of the river just to the west of the present bridge, found a pike head 17 inches long, broken below the haft. The 1792 discovery is presumably the same discovery reported by both Turner and by Leadman, as ‘remnants of armour, axe-heads and other arms’ which were found within living memory, before 1870 beneath the bridge. In the 1880s none of the artefacts then remained in the area and so Leadman did not see them. Silver pennies of Edward II were also are also see by Leadman, but these need not have any association with the battle.
Other than these 18th and 19th century discoveries no evidence has been identified as to any more recent discoveries or of any metal detecting survey of the battlefield.