The two secondary sources which together are perhaps the most useful when considering the battle of Lewes are the English Heritage report, available online, and the small book by David Carpenter which, despite its unusual format, is an well researched publication in which consideration of the battlefield itself plays a key role.
- Beamish, Tufton. Battle Royal, 1965.
- Blaauw William, Henry, and Henry Pearson Charles. The Barons' War : including the battles of Lewes and Evesham. London: Bell and Daldy; [etc. etc.], 1871.
- Brent, Colin. Historic Lewes and its Buildings. Lewes: Lewes Town Council, 1995.
- Carpenter, David. The Battles of Lewes and Evesham 1264/65. Keele: Mercia Publications Ltd, 1987.
- Heritage, English. "Battlefield Report: Lewes 1264." 1995.
- Mann, E L. The Battle of Lewes 1264. Lewes: S B Publications, 1976.
- Powicke et al, Maurice. The Battle of Lewes 1264, 1961.
- Prothero, G. W. The life of Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester : with special reference to the parliamentary history of his time. London: Longmans Green and Co., 1877.