Recommended reading on the battle
The only modern book on the battle is that by Bennett. If used in conjunction with the English Heritage battlefield report (1995) this gives a good overview of the battle and the battlefield. The account present here is drawn largely from those two works. Haigh also provides a useful and readable review of the acction. Burne, as so often, provides a valuable discussion of some of the problems of the battlefield.
- Bennett, Michael. Lambert Simnel and the Battle of Stoke, 1993.
- Bishop, M. W., Planning Nottinghamshire, and Development Transportation. The battle of East Stoke 1487, 1987.
- Brooke, Richard. Observations illustrative of the accounts given by the ancient historical writers of the Battle of Stoke Field. Liverpool: Printed for the author by Thos. Kaye, 1825.
- ———. Visits to Fields of Battle in England of the Fifteenth Century. London: John Russell Smith, 1857.
- Brown, Cornelius. History of Newark-on-Trent : being the life story of an ancient town. Newark: Whiles, 1904.
- Burne, Alfred H. The battlefields of England. London: Greenhill Books, 1996.
- CEI. "Stoke Field 1487: Battlefield Landscape Report." English Heritage, 1994.
- Clark, David. Battlefield Walks: Midlands, 1993.
- English Heritage. Battlefield Hikes volume 1. London: English Heritage, 2003.
- ———. "Battlefield Report: Stoke Field 1487." English Heritage, 1995.
- Fairbairn & Cyprien, Niel & Michael. A Traveller's Guide to the Battlefields of Britain, 1983.
- Getmapping. British Battles: Amazing Views, 2002.
- Guest, Ken, and Denise Guest. British Battles, 1996.
- Haigh, Philip A. The Military Campaigns of the Wars of the Roses, 1995.
- Heritage, English. "Battlefield Report: Stoke Field 1487." English Heritage, 1995.
- Kinross, John. Discovering battlefields of England, Discovering series ; no.176. Princes Risborough: Shire, 1989.
- ———. Walking and Exploring The Battlefields of Britain. Newton Abbot [etc.]: David and Charles, 1988.
- Roberts, David E. The Battle of Stoke Field 1487. Newark: Newark & Sherwood District Council, 1987.
- Shilton, R. P. The battle of Stoke-field, or, Burham fight; : between King Henry the VII, and John de la Pole, Earl of Lincoln. Newark: printed and sold by S. and J. Ridge, 1828.
- Smurthwaite, David. The Complete Guide to the Battlefields of Britain. London: Michael Joseph, 1993.
- Warner, Philip. British Battlefields: The Definitive Guide to Warfare in England and Scotland, 2002.
- Wilkinson, Alan. The secret battle : Stoke Field, 16th June 1487. Nottingham: Midas of Nottingham, 1987.