The main works used in preparing this report are underlined.
- Barrett, Battles and Battlefields in England, London, Innes & Co., 1896
- Burne, The battlefields of England, London, Greenhill Books, 1996
- Chandler, Sedgemoor 1685 : from Monmouth's invasion to the Bloody Assizes, Staplehurst, Spellmount, 1999
- Trench, The Western Rising: An Account of Monmouth's Rebellion, 1969
- Clarke Nigel, Monmouth's West Country rebellion of 1685, Lyme Regis, N.J. Clarke, 1980
- Clifton, The last popular rebellion : the western rising of 1685, New York, St. Martins ; London : Maurice Temple Smith, 1984 199-225 on battle; only plan is Pascal’s redrawn.
- Coad and Chiswick, A memorandum of the wonderful providences of God to a poor unworthy creature : during the time of the Duke of Monmouth's rebellion and to the revolution in 1688, London, Longman Brown Green & Longmans, 1849
- Curtis, Sedgemoor and the Bloody assize : a history and guide, London, Simpkin Marshall, 1930
- D'Oyley, James, Duke of Monmouth, London, G. Bles, 1938, 295-301, no significant battle plan; simple campaign plan
- Duckett George, et al., Original letters of the Duke of Monmouth in the Bodleian Library. Edited by Sir G. Duckett, 1879
- Dummer, A journal of the proceedings of ye D. of Monmouth in his invading of England : with the progress & issue of ye rebellion attending it, Woolwich, Royal Artillery Institution, 1890
- Dunning, The Monmouth Rebellion: a complete guide to the rebellion and the Bloody Assizes, Wimborne, Dovecote Press 1985, 1985
- Earle, Monmouth's rebels : the road to Sedgemoor, 1685, London, Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1977
- Emerson William and Yale University Committee on Undergraduate Prize, Monmouth's Rebellion, Yale University. Undergraduate prize essays ; Vol.8, New Haven, Yale University Press, 1951 61-63, very simplified battle plan
- English Heritage, Battlefield Report: Sedgemoor 1685, English Heritage, 1995
- Fea, King Monmouth : being a history of the career of James Scott "The Protestant duke" 1649-1685, London ; New York, J. Lane, 1902
- Foard, Glenn, 2003, Sedgemoor, 1685: Historic Terrain, the 'Archaeology of Battles' and the Revision of Military History', Landscapes, vol.4 no.2, 5-15. This article reconstructs the historic terrain and places the battle as accurately within that context as the documentary sources allow.
- Macaulay Thomas Babington and Firth Charles, The history of England : from the accession of James the Second, London, Macmillan, 1914, vol.2.
- Humphreys Arthur, Some sources of history for the Monmouth Rebellion and the Bloody Assizes, Taunton, Printed for the Author, 1892
- Keppel, Ringwood, the Monmouth Rebellion and the Bloody Assize, The Ringwood story ; part 1, Ringwood, Ringwood Community Association, 1960;Little, The Monmouth episode, London, T. Werner Laurie, 1956
- Lawrence, The Battle of Sedgemoor, Sedgemoor Preservation Society, 1975
- Little, The Monmouth episode, London, T. Werner Laurie, 1956, 167-192 on battle, some detail of topography and a battle deployment plan
- McCretton, Sedgemoor: the last battle on English soil, 6th July 1685: Westonzoyland battle trail, Bridgwater, Somerset Education Centre, 1985
- McGuffie, The last battle on English soil: Sedgemoor 1685, History Today, 1955
- Melville, 'Mr. Crofts' : the King's bastard : biography of the Duke of Monmouth, 1929
- Morley, A thousand lives : an account of the English revolutionary movement, 1660-1685, [London], A. Deutsch, 1954
- Page, The battle of Sedgemoor, Bridgwater booklets ; no. 4, Bridgwater, East Gate Press, 1930
- Roberts, The life progresses and rebellion of James Duke of Monmouth &c. to his capture and execution : with a full account of the Bloody Assize and copious biographical notices, London, Longman Brown Green and Longmans, 1844
- Roots, The Monmouth rising, Exeter, Devon Books, 1986, this is a brief study. No battlefield map. Very simple campaign map. Regional map is the Mercator – Hondius – Jansson atlas 2nd ed 1636 – only settlements and rivers no roads – like Speed.
- Sturdy, Extracts from Weston Zoyland Registers and notes thereon, Monmouth rebellion ; 1685, Sherborne, Sawtell, 1934
- Tincey, Armies of the Sedgemoor campaign, Leigh-on-Sea, Partizan, 1985
- Walters John, Bygone Somerset, London, W. Andrews & co., 1897; includes chapters on: Sedgemoor and Monmouth rebellion, by K. Parkes; Taunton and the bloody assize, by J. T. Page.
- Whiles, Sedgemoor 1685, Chippenham, Picton Publishing, 1985
- Wigfield and Wade, The Monmouth rebellion : a social history, Bradford-on-Avon, Moonraker Press [etc.], 1980
- Wigfield, The Monmouth rebels 1685, Gloucester, Sutton, 1985