UK Battlefields - The UK Battlefields Trust Resource Centre - Sponsored by the Heritage Lottery Fund and the Hartnett Trust
Home Page Printer Friendly Help Site Map Search for a Battle
   
You are currently here 
 
   
 
 
 
   
 
 
   
 
 
   
 
 
   
 
 
 
   
  »
pdf 
 
   
  »
pdf 
 
   
  »
pdf 
 
   
  »
pdf 
 
   
  »
jpg 
 
   
  »
jpg 
 
   
  »
jpg 
 
   
  »
jpg 
 
   
 
 
   
 
 
 
   
 
 
   
 
 
   
 
 
 
 
The tower of Newburn church was used by the Scots to mount several leather artillery pieces. From this commanding position these leather guns, together with other artillery on the slopes within the village, delivered a devastating fire down upon the two poorly sited English artillery forts which had been hurriedly constructed here on the floodplain, defending the two fords over the river.
 
You can click on the image below to view a larger version of the image
Click on this image to enlarge
Location map
More Images - click any number below to view gallery images:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Battle of Newburn Ford
28th August 1640

The battle of Newburn Ford took place early on the morning of 28th August 1640. Some 4500 English troops had been dispatched to cover the ford at Newburn.  On the south side of the river, close to the two adjacent crossings they had constructed two sconces where they planted artilleryand awaited the Scottish approach. But the forts were poorly sited and the Scots took up a commanding position on the rising ground to the north of the river from which the bombarded the forts and supporting cavalry. Their swift and destructive attack routed and defeated the ill prepared English troops.

It was the only battle of the Second Bishops’ War, but of great political significance. Two days after the battle the city of Newcastle was surrendered to the Scots. Charles was obliged to recall Parliament, which refused to fund his war against the Scots, but further parliamentary demands led ultimately to the Civil War.

Though surrounded and partly covered by modern development, it is surprising how much of the battlefield survives in relatively good condition. The course of the river Tyne has been altered and a bridge replaces the fords but the probable site of at least one of the English sconces and the location of the southern end of the ford remains undeveloped. The steep slopes to the south, rising up out of the floodplain, are now heavily wooded but also intact. However the higher ground, between Stella and Ryton, where the final elements of the action were probably fought by the retreating parliamentarian forces, are largely built over or destroyed by quarrying. The village of Newburn, the orignal Scottish position, has seen massive expansion, but the church still sits high on the northern slopes of the valley, overlooking the river and meadows just as it did in 1640.

Contrary to first impressions, a visit to Newburn is particularly rewarding. There is a good footpath network that gives access to key locations on the battlefield. When viewed from the English positions, the vulnerability of the troops in the hastily constructed sconces is all to apparent. An interpetation panel is sited immediately to the north west on the bridge, on the riverside path.

KEY FACTS

Name: Battle of Newburn Ford

Type: Battle
Campaign: Second Bishops' War

War period: Civil Wars
Outcome: Scottish victory
Country: England
County: Tyneside
Place: Newburn / Newburn Hall / Ryton / Stella
Location: secure

Terrain: open meadow; fortified positions; enclosed fields
Date: 28th August 1640
Start: uncertain
Duration: probably several hours, including artillery bombardment

Armies: English: ill equipped, inexperienced force under Lord Conway; Scottish: experienced force under Alexander Leslie
Numbers: English: about 5,500; Scottish: about 20,000

Losses: few

Grid Reference: NZ163650 (416330,565070)
OS Landranger map: 88
OS Explorer map: 316

 

English Heritage Battlefields Register report CLICK HERE

 

   
Printer Friendly VersionClose Window