Earls of Derwentwater monument
Monument at Langley (Northumberland) to the Earls of Derwentwater, executed after the two Jacobite rebellions. It is on the right hand side travelling south on A686, as the road climbs up a narrow valley, about 1.5 miles south of Haydon Bridge, Northumberland. The inscription reads: IN MEMORY OF JAMES AND CHRLES VISCOUNTS LANGLEY EARLS OF DERWENTWATER BEHEADED ON TOWER HILL 24 FEB 1716 AND 5 DEC 1746 FOR LOYALTY TO THEIR LAWFUL SOVEREIGN
Photo: G Foard 22/10/2002; photo number: 025; Grid Reference: 383700,562300 (approx)
Copyright Glenn Foard 2004
Click here to see the original (larger) version of this image
CLICK HERE TO PRINT THIS PAGE
Close window