The Northallerton battlefield monument lies adjacent the layby on the east side of the A167, 1.5 miles north of the northern edge of Northallerton.
At the time of writing (June 2003) the monument has recently been restored. The plaque which was on the monument has been removed and the shield showing an image of a standard has been replaced. The plaque, present in 1999, read:
PLACED ON THIS SITE IN 1913 WAS RESTORED BY
HAMBLETON DISTRICT COUNCIL IN 1977
IT COMMEMORATES THE
BATTLE OF THE STANDARD
FOUGHT IN 1138 WHEN AN INVADING FORCE LED
BY KING DAVID OF SCOTLAND
WAS DEFEATED BY AN ARMY RAISED BY
THURSTON ARCHBISHOP OF YORK’
In 1983 Fairbairn noted that the monument ‘appears to be much favoured as a roosting place for local birds.’ Sadly, judging by the condition of the monument, the same appears to be true today.
ON SITE INTERPRETATION
An interpretation panel has recently been erected immediately adjacent to the monument. This however relates to the traditional siting of the battle arrays and so must be treated with care.